m11

In this image there seems to be two panels between the display and the eye, is two the common number of panels in VR sets? Is there an advantage/disadvantage to adding more panels?

amilich

Yes, I think this is common; for example, cameras (DLSR) may have many lenses to correct chromatic aberrations or other focusing issues. This blog post with the same diagram (https://www.roadtovr.com/sensics-ceo-yuval-boger-dual-element-optics-osvr-hdk-vr-headset/) seems to have a lot more useful information.

jballouz

it was mentioned in class that that special lens places the object ~2.5 m away. Is it always ~2.5 m away or is it possible to have it probably 30 m (like if we were in a jungle and saw an animal charging at us for example) or is that type of lens too expensive to have?

cs248acct

@jballouz I was wondering about that too -- I thought I heard Kayvon mention that 2.5m was essentially the same as infinitely far away, but wasn't sure in what sense they are the same; maybe in terms of the relaxation of the eye?

yueli96

I thought it was mentioned that it often gets low resolution because the field of view is larger than that on the display because of the lens. I am not sure why this is the case.