Previous | Next --- Slide 72 of 78
Back to Lecture Thumbnails
ben_barnett

I know earlier in lecture Kayvon talked about not using ambiguous words like "shiny", but I'm also having a hard time developing a good intuition for what each of these means, even with the scale. (For example I see almost no difference between 0.0 and 1.0 on sheen.) Is there a more exaggerated cheat sheet somewhere? Is it important to understand each of these?

ak5

I am a little confused about sheen and sheenTint parameters in terms of material rendering

kadl

Here is a description of the components from the disney paper :

• baseColor- the surface color, usually supplied by texture maps.

• subsurface- controls diffuse shape using a subsurface approximation.

• metallic- the metallic-ness (0 = dielectric, 1 = metallic). This is a linear blend between twodifferent models. The metallic model has no diffuse component and also has a tinted incidentspecular, equal to the base color.

• specular- incident specular amount. This is in lieu of an explicit index-of-refraction.

• specularTint- a concession for artistic control that tints incident specular towards the base color.Grazing specular is still achromatic.

• roughness- surface roughness, controls both diffuse and specular response.

• anisotropic- degree of anisotropy. This controls the aspect ratio of the specular highlight. (0 =isotropic, 1 = maximally anisotropic).

• sheen- an additional grazing component, primarily intended for cloth.

• sheenTint- amount to tint sheen towards base color.

• clearcoat- a second, special-purpose specular lobe.

• clearcoatGloss- controls clearcoat glossiness (0 = a “satin” appearance, 1 = a “gloss” appearan

sph

This is kind of a neat look into two shaders used in Renderman right now. They use nine BxDF lobes for their surface shader, PxrSurface (used in Finding Dory, Cars 3, and Coco).

prathikn

I'm curious why Disney chose these parameters uniquely -- has this become the standard for creating new BRDF's? How does these BRDF's approximate surfaces interacting with other textures like liquids?